Third Man Arrested After Death Of Former Terriers Player

Jordan Sinnott suffered a head fracture in the early hours of Saturday morning.

A third man has been arrested following the death of former Huddersfield Town footballer Jordon Sinnott, who died following incidents in Retford town centre, Nottinghamshire on Friday night (24/1).

The Bradford-born 25 year old, who also played for Halifax Town, was on a night out when police were called to what they describe as a "large scale disturbance" in the town's Market Place.

He was treated in hospital for a suspected skull fracture but sadly died just before 6pm on Saturday.

A 21-year-old man has now been arrested on suspicion of murder.

Another 21-year-old man and a 27-year-old man have already been arrested in connection with the incidents and remain in police custody.

Detective Inspector Justine Wilson, who is leading the investigation, has appealed to local people for information.

DI Wilson said: “Retford is a fantastic town with a close knit community, and I would like to appeal directly to that community to come forward. Jordan’s family deserves answers, so please come and talk to us.

"We are making progress in the investigation, but we have unanswered questions. I know there are people out there who saw what happened and can answer those questions for us, so I would like to appeal to you directly - please do the right thing, not just for us but for Jordan’s family.

"We have also opened an online portal which the public can use to give us information. This can be done anonymously and is not traceable by the police.”

Nottinghamshire Police first attended the Dominie Cross public house in Grove Street, Retford following a report of a group of up to eight men and women having been involved in a disturbance in the pub car park just after 11.25pm on Friday 24 January.

Officers were later called to assist ambulance crews who were attempting to treat Mr Sinnott, a footballer with Matlock Town Football Club, after he was found unconscious with a suspected fractured skull following a subsequent incident at around 2am in the town’s Market Place.

Mr Sinnott had remained in hospital since the time of the incident, where he was receiving treatment for a suspected fractured skull. He died in hospital just before 6pm on Saturday 25 January, surrounded by his family.

Two other men were also injured during the incidents, with a 27-year old man sustaining a suspected broken nose and a 44-year old man receiving a suspected broken jaw.

Tributes have poured in for the midfielder:

More from Local