.

Fatal Bradford House Fire 'Caused By Candles'

Firefighters are warning homeowners of the dangers, following the tragic blaze in Girlington in the early hours of Tuesday.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service say they believe the most likely cause of a fatal house fire in Bradford earlier this week was candles or tealights accidently igniting nearby items.

A woman in her 70s died in the blaze, which happened on St Leonards Road in Girlington in the early hours of Tuesday morning, despite the best efforts of fire crews who rescued her, and paramedics who tried to revive her.

Following this incident, firefighters are urging homeowners to beware of the potential dangers of candles and tealights.

Area Manager for Service Delivery Chris Kirby said:

"Fire engines from Fairweather Green, Odsal and Bingley fire stations attended the scene following a call to our Control Room just before 03.30 hrs on Tuesday.

"Fire crews did everything they could but sadly the occupant could not be saved and our deepest condolences go out to her family and friends.

"Fire investigators have been on the scene and have established that the fire started in the ground floor lounge and we believe the most likely cause is that it has been due to candles or tealights accidentally igniting combustible items nearby."

They've issued the following advice about how to use candles safely in the home...

  • Always place a tealight/candle on an even, non-combustible surface, in an appropriate holder.
  • Never leave a tealight/candle unattended and snuff them out properly before bed.
  • Never place a tealight/candle close to combustible items such as curtains, furniture, carpets, clothes or even hair.
  • Always keep children/pets away from tealights/candles.
  • Due to the high temperatures created and transmitted through the metal base, a tealight can burn through plastic surfaces. If it drops, for example through a TV unit, it can then ignite and quickly spread to the rest of the room.
  • Glass shelves can shatter from conducted heat.
  • Leaving a spent match or piece of paper in the tealight whilst the candle is in use can lead to an effect called ‘double wicking’. The temperature of the liquid wax increases quickly to over 300 degrees Celsius with a flame up to 6 inches.
  • Do not extinguish a tealight using water as it can create a mini chip pan effect.
  • Install a smoke detector and test it regularly.

For more information visit www.westyorksfire.gov.uk where you can request a free Safe and Well home visit.

Alternatively call 0800 5874536 or pop into your local fire station to enquire.

More from Local


Download Our App

You can listen to Pulse 1 wherever you go. Get in touch with the studio and call, message and Tweet us all directly from within the app.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

More from Pulse 1