Warriors Fell Giants At The DW - Eventually

Jermaine McGillvary

Wigan Warriors came from behind to open their Super League Super 8s campaign with a thrilling 30-22 win over Huddersfield at the DW Stadium.

The Giants stunned the home fans as they raced into a 10-0 lead after just 12 minutes with Jermaine McGillvary crossing for two identical tries as Wigan looked out of sorts in defence.

The Warriors, who struggled to cope with Huddersfield's ferocity in attack and defence, did manage to pull a try back through Liam Farrell but they trailed 10-6 at half-time.

The half-time team talk from Shaun Wane made its mark as Wigan came back out in determined mood and two quickfire tries from Dom Manfredi and George Williams saw the game turned on its head with the Warriors leading 18-10.

Two on-loan players then took centre stage as Jack Hughes, on loan from Wigan, crossed over near the corner for the Giants before Larne Patrick, on loan from Huddersfield, put the game out of the visitors' reach as he collected a smart offload from the impressive Williams.

A late try from Eorl Crabtree set up a grandstand finish but Dom Crosby had the final say for Wigan to end an outstanding contest.

Huddersfield took the lead after just seven minutes as they turned defence in attack. They thwarted a Warriors attack on their line and on the back of a penalty they marched 90 metres up the other end to score.

Jamie Ellis threw a neat cut-out pass to Leroy Cudjoe who in turn sent McGillvary over in corner, with Danny Brough kicking the goal.

The Giants extended their advantage with a carbon copy of the first try as McGillvary was left in acres of space on the right following good work from Ellis, Scott Grix, Hughes and Cudjoe. Brough failed to convert but the Giants held a 10-0 lead.

Huddersfield continued to attack Wigan's left side of defence and Anthony Gelling and Manfredi were finding it increasingly difficult to keep Cudjoe and McGillvary at bay.

The Warriors did manage to pull a try back before the break as Farrell broke up the middle before racing 35 metres unopposed to cross over. Matty Smith's conversion cut the lead to four at the break.

The Warriors dominated the early stages of the second half and Tony Clubb was held up over the line, but Wigan finally got the try they needed when Manfredi caught a low ball from Williams and stepped past McGillvary. Smith converted to give Wigan the lead for the first time.

The hosts then struck again as Farrell broke downfield and kept his composure to draw Grix in and send Williams racing away to score. Smith again converted for an 18-10 lead.

The Giants refused to lie down and they got to within two points as Hughes used all his strength to go over, with Brough adding the extras.

After Hughes had hurt his own club by going over it was down to Patrick to do the same as he collected a neat offload from Williams and crashed over under the posts. Smith made it 24-16.

Crabtree went over from close range and Brough's conversion cut Huddersfield’s deficit to two points with seven minutes remaining.

But Wigan again stepped up a gear when needed and Crosby sealed the victory with three minutes left with a barge-over try. 

More from Local Sport

Download Our App

You can listen to Pulse 1 wherever you go. Get in touch with the studio and call, message and Tweet us all directly from within the app.

  • Available on the App Store
  • Available on Google Play

More from Pulse 1

Cover art for Break Up Song

On Air

Paul Griffiths playing Little Mix - Break Up Song